First ACM SIGSPATIAL Student Research Competition (SRC)
co-located with ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2016
October 31-November 3, 2016, San Francisco, CA, USA
Call for Submissions
For the first time, the ACM SIGSPATIAL 2016 will host the SIGSPATIAL ACM Student Research Competition (SRC). SRC allows undergraduate and graduate students to share their research results and exchange ideas with other students, judges, and conference attendees; understand the practical applications of their research; perfect their communication skills; and receive prizes and gain recognition from ACM and the greater computing community.
* Guidelines: The Student Research Competition is open to graduate (only one author) and undergraduate (up to two authors per contribution) student members whose submissions are accepted by the SRC committee. SRC submissions should describe recent research conducted primarily by students or a recent development that involves a substantial amount of work achieved primarily by students. To be considered, complete a submission of an extended abstract of a topic of interest to the ACM SIGSPATIAL conference (please check the main conference CFP for relevant topics) and indicate the level of the participation (undergraduate or graduate). Valid ACM student membership and student status enrollment as of the submission deadline are required for the lead student.
* Selection Process: Submission will be judged based on novelty, impact, approach, results, and contributions to the field of spatial systems and algorithms. Selected competitors must attend the SRC session during the conference and should prepare a poster for demonstrating their work during the conference. If selected for further competition at the next level, they should be prepared to give a short talk of 10 minutes about their research projects in front of the judging committee and conference attendees. Winners of the SIGSPATIAL 2016 SRC will be announced at the conference.
* Awards: Selected competitors by the SRC committee will receive up to $500 USD for their conference travel, depending on need. Winners from each category will advance to the SRC Grand Finals, where winners from various ACM SIGs are evaluated to nominate the ACM-wide SRC winners. The winners of the Grand Finals will be recognized at the Annual ACM Awards Banquet, the same banquet that also recognizes the Turing Award winners.
* Sponsors: The SRC competition is fully sponsored by a generous donation from Microsoft Research.
* Submission Instructions: Each submission should include the author(s)’ name(s), affiliations, email addresses, research advisors’ names, ACM student member number, SRC category (undergraduate or graduate), and an extended abstract of no more than two pages in the conference template. The SRC submission should not have been published before or under concurrent submission to another venue/SIGSPATIAL track. Please submit your papers through the EasyChair system at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=acmsigspatial16src
* Important Dates
** Submission Deadline: August 25, 2016.
** Notification of Acceptance: September 20, 2016.
* Contact: For more information about the SRC competition, please contact the SRC Chair Moustafa Youssef at email@example.com
Follow ACMGIS @